Thursday, August 23, 2012

Lunches August 20th - 24th

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read a book or a chapter of a book to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks. 

This was the last week of summer for us before Boogs starts 1st Grade. We had a very busy and active week. So I don't have "lunches" this week, just one little story themed lunch. We did read other books together this week and I did feed Boogs lunch every day. Each evening, Boogs read Look! I Can Tie My Shoes! by Susan Hood. While reading this book, Boogs followed the steps and has learned how to tie his new school shoes. I will admit that I have been a lazy mom and have put off teaching Boogs this skill. It has just been easier to buy shoes with velcro. When I first checked out this library book, I thought Boogs would think it was too young for him. He was very interested in reading it over and over and over while he practiced tying his shoes. In the ELB lunchbox - pb&j Boogs with Babybel cheese head wearing carrot sneakers, "A" letter cookie for his hard work, pistachio nuts, raisins, blueberries, and salad.




I bought these really cool dual-colored shoelaces from Tying Is A Snap. They made it so easy for Boogs to figure out which part of the shoelace to wrap and what to pull through. Boogs loved being able to perfectly match the shoelace colors to his new "tying shoes". The laces were delivered within four days of my on-line order.



SWEET SUCCESS!
Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.

15 comments:

  1. We haven't even thought about it with John & he starts 1st in just over a week. Slipons and velcro are so easy to come by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Last year, he had trouble tying his karate belt. I figured it was time for us. Especially if he takes karate again.

      Delete
  2. Wow! The shoelaces look wondeful. He did a great job on tying them. We are still working on tying at our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post a while back about JDaniel learning to tie his shoes inspired me to get working on this important skill.

      Delete
  3. You are so inspiring. I have never made a cute lunch to reflect back on a favorite book. Whoops. I definitely want to see these other lunches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Did you click thru the words "My Story Themed Lunches"? It takes you to my lunch pinterest board. It has about 200 story themed lunches pinned there.

      Delete
  4. I love the shoe string idea as none of my kids can tie their shoes yet. :0 And I LOVE your pinterest board - I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. I just happened upon those shoelaces. I love them!

      Delete
  5. YEAH!! What a big milestone to tie your own shoe laces! It took my son FOREVER!! Love the idea. Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!! I will have to check out this book. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked it out from the Easy Reader section in our public library. The book helped, but I think the shoelaces made a HUGE difference in Boogs' tying ability.

      Delete
  7. Such a cute lunch to go along with the book! I like the idea of the dual colored laces, too. Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete